If you’re into skateboarding, then chances are you have at least one skateboard lying around your room. But have you ever thought about using it as a decor piece? With its vibrant designs and unique shape, a skateboard can add an edgy touch to any room. Plus, instead of letting it collect dust in a corner, hanging it up on your wall is a great way to display your love for the sport. But how exactly do you hang a skateboard as decor? In this article, we’ll be discussing different methods and tips for hanging your skateboard as a statement piece in your home.
Why Hang a Skateboard as Decor?
Before diving into the “how”, let’s first talk about the “why”. Skateboarding has become more than just a sport, it’s a lifestyle and a form of self-expression. So why not incorporate that unique skate culture into your home decor? Hanging up your skateboard not only adds a personal touch to your space but also serves as a conversation starter for guests. It’s a great way to show off your passion and personality in a creative way.
Choosing the Right Spot and Preparing Your Wall
Before you can even begin to hang your skateboard, it’s important to choose the right spot in your room. You’ll want to find a place where the board can be clearly seen, and where it matches the overall aesthetic of your room. And remember, balance is key. So, consider the overall layout and distribution of items in your room. Another thing to consider is how heavy is a skateboard. On average, a skateboard weighs around 2-5 pounds, which is relatively light. But, this still means you need to ensure your wall can handle the weight and that you use appropriate fixtures and fittings. Preparing your wall properly is crucial, as it ensures your skateboard hangs securely and blends seamlessly into your decor.
Choosing the Right Skateboard
The first step to hanging your skateboard as decor is selecting the right one. While any skateboard can be used, there are a few things to consider for maximum visual impact. A colorful or patterned deck is more visually appealing than a plain one. Also, keep in mind the size and shape of your skateboard as it will affect the placement and hanging method. A longer skateboard may look better hung horizontally, while a shorter one can be displayed vertically.
Different Methods for Hanging a Skateboard
There are several ways to hang your skateboard as decor, and which method you choose will depend on personal preference and the setup of your room, as well as considering the dimensions of skateboard decks. Here are some popular methods for hanging a skateboard:
This is the most popular method for hanging skateboards as it allows for easy removal and repositioning. Here’s how to do it:
- Use screws or anchors to attach two L-shaped brackets to the wall, leaving enough space for the skateboard deck to slide in between.
- Place the bottom part of the deck onto one bracket and gently slide it into the other.
- For extra stability, use a bungee cord or stretchy rope to loop around both trucks and secure them.
This method is more permanent as it requires drilling holes into the skateboard itself. Here’s how to do it:
- Measure and mark where you want the trucks to be mounted on the wall.
- Drill holes into the wall and insert drywall anchors.
- Use screws or bolts to attach truck hangers directly onto the wall.
- Place your skateboard on top of the hangers and secure with nuts and bolts.
- For added stability, use adhesive strips or hooks to secure the deck to the wall.
Grip Tape Mounting
If you want a unique and visually interesting way to hang your skateboard, using grip tape as a wall mount is the perfect option. Here’s how to do it:
- Cut out a shape in your grip tape that matches the size of your skateboard deck.
- Remove the backing paper and stick it onto the wall, making sure it’s level.
- Place your skateboard deck on top of the grip tape.
- For added security, use adhesive strips or hooks to attach the deck to the wall.
Tips for Hanging Success
Here are some tips to keep in mind when hanging your skateboard as decor:
- Make sure the surface you’re hanging your skateboard on is clean and dry.
- Use appropriate hardware such as screws, anchors, or hooks to ensure it stays securely in place.
- Consider the weight of your skateboard before choosing a hanging method. For heavier boards, make sure to use strong and sturdy materials.
- Experiment with different angles and heights to find the most visually appealing placement.
Q: Can I hang multiple skateboards as decor?
A: Absolutely! You can create a unique and eye-catching display by hanging multiple skateboards in different arrangements.
Q: Can I use adhesive strips or hooks to hang my skateboard instead of drilling into the wall?
A: Yes, you can use adhesive strips or hooks for lighter boards. However, for heavier boards, it’s recommended to use screws or anchors for added stability.
Q: Can I paint my skateboard before hanging it as decor?
A: Yes, painting your skateboard is a great way to add a personal touch and make it stand out even more as decor.
Q: Can I hang my skateboard outside?
A: While some skateboards are designed for outdoor use, it’s not recommended to hang them outside as the elements can damage the board and affect its appearance.
Q: Can I hang a skateboard vertically?
A: Yes, you can hang your skateboard vertically for a different look. Just make sure to use appropriate hardware and secure it properly.
Hanging a skateboard as decor is a fun and creative way to incorporate your love for skateboarding into your home. With different hanging methods and tips, you can easily turn your skateboard into a statement piece that adds personality and character to any room. So next time you’re thinking of picking up a hammer, consider using it to hang up your skateboard instead.